Phoenix Kayak Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
PLEASE NOTE USERS MUST USE THEIR OWN FULL NAME AS THEIR USERNAME ON THE FORUM!!
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Junior Development canoeing Ireland 4th May
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Thu 21 Mar 2024, 8:13 pm

» Teen connect
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Fri 15 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm

» Paddle 4 Life - Track your Kms
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Diarmuid Lane Thu 14 Mar 2024, 7:55 am

» Ocean to City - Early Bird Registration Closing 13th March
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Simon Champ Wed 13 Mar 2024, 6:12 am

» Nice set of Werner Shuna 2pc Small Shaft 210cm on Facebook
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Sean O'Sullivan Mon 04 Mar 2024, 9:09 am

» Avonmore
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Simon Champ Sun 11 Feb 2024, 8:41 pm

» 2024 Learn to Kayak Summer Courses - enrolment now open!
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Fatima Gunning Wed 07 Feb 2024, 10:05 pm

» Liffey Descent - May 11 2024
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Sat 16 Dec 2023, 3:31 pm

» Sweet Protection wanderer
Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Tue 05 Dec 2023, 8:27 pm

Keywords
Lower junior Slovenia cardiff Saturday Sullane level Instructor River Trip liffey Helmet club descent Blackwater canoe Membership rescue Roll Marathon thursday Barrow Bandon Pool rolling Social

Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.

Go down 
+5
Dan Twomey
Paul Heff
Don O'Hanlon
Sean O'Sullivan
mickeyb
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Empty
PostSubject: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 8:33 pm

I'm on the hunt for something like a Wavesport Habitat, Dagger Nomad, Liquid logic Jeffe Grande.

Something big, that will keep my sizable carcass afloat & make me look good.

All advice appreciated

Anyone flogging their old dead horses, feel free to give me a shout.
Back to top Go down
mickeyb
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
mickeyb

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2006-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 8:43 am

They have these boats
http://www.pyranha.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=155
Large one of these will certainly hold a large frame

and these boats
http://www.eddyflower.com/ShowBoat.aspx?BoatId=278

Cheap cheap in one of the local shops, that one by lennox's
Back to top Go down
Sean O'Sullivan
Admin
Sean O'Sullivan

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 9:50 am

Fergus couple of boats for sale here that might suit.

http://www.irishfreestyle.com/forums/buysell/boats
Back to top Go down
Don O'Hanlon
Silver Member
Silver Member
Don O'Hanlon

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 2:14 pm

Wavesport Diesel 75 also a good option. Myself and Daz have this boat. Similar to the Habitat. I find the Diesel because of the shape of the back of the boat can catch the drops almost like a surf boat but has plenty of volume (280L) for the bigger rivers Cool
A Nomad has more volume (300L) and there are a few other (c. 320L) whose names excape me if your looking for more volume than the diesel or habitat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 9:41 pm

I have the Wavesport Diesel 75 and I should have tried it out first but bought it on impulse and after receiving some advice, I think it's a great boat and can find no fault with it only I think I should have gone for the 65 instead, The 75 is a big boat for running big rivers with plenty of volume to keep it above the water and thats where it excels, but for running local rivers I find it's a tad too big for me (80kgs) so before choosing your boat try it out, The 75 is a big boat but after too much Xmas Turkey I might grow into it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sean O'Sullivan
Admin
Sean O'Sullivan

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 7:31 am

Or Dazl you could sell your 75 to Fergus and pick up a 65 yourself Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_biggrin Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Paul Heff

Number of posts : 966
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 9:37 am

Bantry Bay have a 65 on special Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
mickeyb
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
mickeyb

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2006-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 9:41 am

As do MDAC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 9:50 am

Dazl,
if you are gonna keep doing the laney, upper bandon and sullane then get the 65, if you want to move to rivers of a higher grade then i would stick with the 75. The 75 is not too big for all the rivers "out west",
if you are getting the 65 then make sure its a "white water" spec, it think MDAC have those.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 10:59 am

(Fergus sorry for thread hijack!)
Daz I'd agree with Danny. If you are planning on progressing up the grades of rivers you'll be glad of the bigger boat sooner rather than later. Also as you start to build up your safety kit (rope, splits, 1st aid kit, sandwiches, flask for tea, camera for taking evidence of swims etc) you'll be glad of the extra volume.
It's a different skill to be able to drive a bigger boat where you want to, takes some time to get used to, but stick with it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 6:50 pm

Thanks guys I won't be changing recession and all that, besides I reckon if it's not broken don't fix it. Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Don O'Hanlon
Silver Member
Silver Member
Don O'Hanlon

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 7:50 pm

Time for a trip down to the clydagh and routy Dazl and Fergus bounce drunken lol!

Last edited by droh on Wed 04 Nov 2009, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 7:53 pm

Muireann wrote:
(Fergus sorry for thread hijack!)

No panic...

Still looking...

Tried Ray's Habitat 75 today on the Colligan & couldn't even fit in it...

The search goes on...

By the way, I'm 6'1 ish, 13.5 stone, 34-34 trousers & size 11 shoes.

If there's anyone else similarly built, let me know what you're paddling & what you think of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 7:55 pm

droh wrote:
Time for a trip down to the clydagh and routy Dazl and Fergus bounce :Razz: :Basketball: drunken lol!

Swam down the Colligan today...

You sure you want to take me down the Clydagh and Routy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 9:24 pm

Yes Please !!! cheers If work would give me a break I might actually get some paddeling done.
Fergus don't worry about swimming that needs practice too.
Back to top Go down
Dan Twomey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Dan Twomey

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 10:20 pm

Hi Fergus, I can recommend the nomad 8.5 which has 78 gallons and a max weight of 240 pounds. Or the dagger mamba 8.5 which is the boat im currently using which has a max weight of about 260 pounds and 72 gallons , though it is a little lower in volume its a grand boat and great for bigger paddlers ( me being about 6.2 and about 19 stone).
I ran it down the clydagh a few weeks back when it was at about 1.5 on the gauge and the gates and it served me grand even though I am pushing the max weight and had it weighed down with kit.So it'd serve you fine considering the weight difference.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions about it.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Don O'Hanlon
Silver Member
Silver Member
Don O'Hanlon

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 11:12 pm

Fergus,

I'd probably swim in the Colligan myself and get spat out and regurgitated on the Clydagh, but its all good fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
micheal mc sweeney
Silver Member
Silver Member
micheal mc sweeney

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeThu 05 Nov 2009, 9:34 am

Muireann wrote:
Also as you start to build up your safety kit (rope, splits, 1st aid kit, sandwiches, flask for tea, camera for taking evidence of swims etc) you'll be glad of the extra volume.

Don't forget the satchel of crushed up monkey balls to ward off evil spirits. Because you just never know.....
Back to top Go down
James Linehan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
James Linehan

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeThu 05 Nov 2009, 5:07 pm

I paddle the fluid solo medium , it perfect for the bigger volume rivers , im going to test it on the coligan next week so i can give you my review ,
the large or expedition is wider so that might fit you and it is has a huge amount of volume , but it is a creeker rather than a river runner so its not as fast as a wavesport desiel or LL remix
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 8:57 pm

Still looking...

Any sheds need emptying?

Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
seanmc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 10:28 pm

Would you be interested in a large fluid solo? I might know someone with one for sale.
I paddle a small one myself and have found it to be more than big enough for anything I've done in Ireland, France, Scotland and a few more places.
Back to top Go down
http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 11:58 pm

seanmc wrote:
Would you be interested in a large fluid solo? I might know someone with one for sale.
I paddle a small one myself and have found it to be more than big enough for anything I've done in Ireland, France, Scotland and a few more places.

Was looking at James' medium the other day...
Might fit the bill all right...

0eight6 2240three77

Cheers Sean
Back to top Go down
James Linehan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
James Linehan

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 7:54 am

Hi Sean ,
Your more than welcome to demo my Fluid solo in the lee fields or lower bandon if your intrested ?
Back to top Go down
seanmc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 10:41 am

seanmc wrote:
I paddle a small one myself
Back to top Go down
http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc
James Linehan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
James Linehan

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 1:21 pm

Sorry Embarassed sean , i meant fergus mc , just let me kno if ya want a demo .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.   Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Habitat, Nomad or some such sizable beast wanted.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next