Phoenix Kayak Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
PLEASE NOTE USERS MUST USE THEIR OWN FULL NAME AS THEIR USERNAME ON THE FORUM!!
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Teen connect
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Fri 15 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm

» Paddle 4 Life - Track your Kms
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Diarmuid Lane Thu 14 Mar 2024, 7:55 am

» Ocean to City - Early Bird Registration Closing 13th March
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Simon Champ Wed 13 Mar 2024, 6:12 am

» Nice set of Werner Shuna 2pc Small Shaft 210cm on Facebook
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Sean O'Sullivan Mon 04 Mar 2024, 9:09 am

» Avonmore
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Simon Champ Sun 11 Feb 2024, 8:41 pm

» 2024 Learn to Kayak Summer Courses - enrolment now open!
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Fatima Gunning Wed 07 Feb 2024, 10:05 pm

» Liffey Descent - May 11 2024
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Sat 16 Dec 2023, 3:31 pm

» Sweet Protection wanderer
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Tue 05 Dec 2023, 8:27 pm

» Sweet Protection Sale
I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeby Sean O'Sullivan Fri 24 Nov 2023, 4:05 pm

Keywords
Social Sullane Membership level Roll Bandon Marathon Helmet Saturday cardiff thursday Instructor Pool descent Slovenia rescue club Barrow rolling Blackwater Trip Lower liffey River canoe junior

I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
paul kearney
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
paul kearney

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-31

I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Empty
PostSubject: I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!   I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009, 1:19 am

Ok guys, thinking of getting a dry cag. Any advice? Cheaper the better to be honest because i dont have a whole lot of money. Hoping someone who has done their homework will get back to me... *cough*(paul heffernan Razz) Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!   I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009, 2:00 am

Pauls your Man !!!! study Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!   I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009, 11:41 pm

Alright so here's my 2 cents. PeakUk and Palm would probably be the two best makes of cags on the market, there are a little bit pricey but the quality of them is second to none.
As for what kind of cag your looking to get, again you have two choices, semi-dry or fully dry. The difference is that fully dry has latex and neoprine wrist and neck seals whereas the semis dry only has the neoprine neck and wrist seals.I have the PeakUK Deluxe cag(fully dry), which I find to be perfect if you ever wnat to try it out just let me know I should be out most evenings with the club.

I reckon your best bet would be to call up the Dive shop around the corner from Lennox's, ask the guys in their cause they will be able to answer all the question you have, plus you will be able to try stuff on before you buy it.http://www.mdac.ie/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1019
Back to top Go down
paul kearney
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
paul kearney

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-31

PostSubject: Re: I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!   I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 1:17 am

Im definately looking for fully dry as i alreadt have a "semi-dry" that i get wet in if i even look at the water. I was looking at the lomo dry cag, anybody know what its like? i know a few people have the full suits but their website said they wont have my size until sept. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!   I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 12:09 pm

paul kearney wrote:
Cheaper the better to be honest because i dont have a whole lot of money.

I know it's easier said than done (specially for me who is working!), but cheaper cags can be a false economy in the long run. I've recently replaced my IR comp after 4+ years of excellent warm dry service, being used probably 4 times a week. I spent a bit more at the time knowing it'd pay off in the long run. This time round I bought a Kokatat cag, hoping the same will be true. Of course, both were the ladies ones, the IR one had a lovely pink trimming, and my Kokatat one is a delightful girly shade of purple, so probably not a whole lot of good to you (I don't know... maybe you're that way inclined!)
Muireann flower
Back to top Go down
Don O'Hanlon
Silver Member
Silver Member
Don O'Hanlon

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!   I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 12:30 pm

Hey Paul,

If you already have some kind of Cag maybe consider going for a full drysuit.

I recently bought a dry cag and pants and spent about 300e and this was when there was end of year sales.
The cag and pants are great but some water still gets in around the waist especially if you go for a swim.

I've been doing a bit of checking on the internet and it seems you can get a full drysuit from about €250 up and you will stay completely dry (even when you swim) so I'm told. Check some local shops too. They should have some good deals.

I'm half thinking I should have gone straight for a dry suit at the time but I assumed they would be 700-800 back then. I'm thinking of getting a drysuit now even though I have a decent cag and trousers. You'd still always get use out of a decent cag even if you have a drysuit aswell, i.e. maybe on the sea, racing or if the weather is too warm for a drysuit.

If you are still thinking of getting a cag, I have a YAK Celcius. I find it great, keeps you warm and dry. Paid about €180 at the time.

Don.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!   I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need advice on a dry cag. Help appreciated big time!!
Page 1 of 1