Phoenix Kayak Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
PLEASE NOTE USERS MUST USE THEIR OWN FULL NAME AS THEIR USERNAME ON THE FORUM!!
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Dam to Club house Friday 5th April (Peer Trip)
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Anaïs O'Donovan Wed 03 Apr 2024, 9:18 am

» UPDATE: Paddlesurf development day sat 20th of April
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Rowan Johnson Tue 02 Apr 2024, 10:57 am

» Junior Development canoeing Ireland 4th May
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Thu 21 Mar 2024, 8:13 pm

» Teen connect
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Jackie O'Sullivan Fri 15 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm

» Paddle 4 Life - Track your Kms
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Diarmuid Lane Thu 14 Mar 2024, 7:55 am

» Ocean to City - Early Bird Registration Closing 13th March
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Simon Champ Wed 13 Mar 2024, 6:12 am

» Nice set of Werner Shuna 2pc Small Shaft 210cm on Facebook
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Sean O'Sullivan Mon 04 Mar 2024, 9:09 am

» Avonmore
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Simon Champ Sun 11 Feb 2024, 8:41 pm

» 2024 Learn to Kayak Summer Courses - enrolment now open!
 Paddles Icon_minitimeby Fatima Gunning Wed 07 Feb 2024, 10:05 pm

Keywords
Marathon Blackwater Social club rescue level Helmet descent thursday Bandon Roll Sullane Saturday canoe Lower rolling liffey River cardiff Instructor Slovenia Membership Pool beginners Trip Barrow

Paddles

Go down 
+7
Sean Powell
Sean Reilly
Paul Heff
EricWalshe
Simon Champ
Diarmuid Lane
Jackie O'Sullivan
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Jackie O'Sullivan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2019-08-03

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeSat 03 Oct 2020, 4:22 pm

Is anyone selling a nice paddle?
Not sure what I want, crankshaft would be nice maybe, what's out there?
Back to top Go down
Diarmuid Lane
Gold Member
Gold Member
Diarmuid Lane

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2020-09-12

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeSat 03 Oct 2020, 9:30 pm

Also interested
Back to top Go down
Simon Champ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2014-11-19

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeSat 03 Oct 2020, 11:23 pm

I'd advise trying out different paddles before ye buy anything.

The big advantage of crankshaft paddles is that they help prevent tendonitis by keeping your wrist in a more neutral position when paddling. The big disadvantage is the extra cost Smile They also feel a bit different in the water to a straight shaft paddle but this is something you can get used to.

The length of the paddles and size of the blade face are also big considerations. In my opinion bigger is not better when it comes to blade face. Yes a bigger blade catches more water and allows you to get more power into a stroke but you will fatigue faster as a result.

As for paddle length, get the longest paddles you can. Its all about leverage here and a longer paddle gives you more leverage making you more efficient.

But definitely try out a few paddles different before you buy anything. I'm sure a few members would have no issue with you demo-ing their paddles down the weir or sluice.

Przemo Firszt, Jackie O'Sullivan, Sarah O'Connor and Diarmuid Lane like this post

Back to top Go down
Jackie O'Sullivan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeSat 03 Oct 2020, 11:31 pm

Yes, I put up the request here so I would be able to trial it first, buying new is so expensive and a costly mistake if it doesn't suit you, I'm in no hurry, if something decent comes up that would be great, in the mean time I'll take your advice and see if anyone is daft enough to lend me theirs to play with so I can see what suits me.

Simon Champ, Susanna Lehtimaki and Diarmuid Lane like this post

Back to top Go down
EricWalshe

EricWalshe

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2020-09-08

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Canoe centre paddle sale    Paddles Icon_minitimeSun 04 Oct 2020, 9:09 pm

Canoe centre selling some very good adventure technology paddles on sale at the moment with a pretty good discount, just bought one myself!

Jackie O'Sullivan, Sarah O'Connor and Diarmuid Lane like this post

Back to top Go down
Jackie O'Sullivan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeSun 04 Oct 2020, 10:05 pm

Thanks, My problem is I'm not really sure what to get, was hoping if someone had one for sale, I could try it out first and see if it suited me.
Back to top Go down
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Paul Heff

Number of posts : 968
Registration date : 2007-10-12

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeSun 04 Oct 2020, 10:59 pm

I've paddled with Werners almost exclusively because I've found they're the best for me and the majority of river paddlers seem to agree!

Have a look at Werners paddle fit guide for advice on length and paddle area to suit you, it won't put you wrong in my experience.

I use Werners playboating paddle, the Player (smaller version of the Sidekick). I prefer them to their river running equivalent the Sherpa (smaller brother of the Powerhouse) both of which many club members have.

I agree with Simon in that many people paddle with blades that are too big but disagree with him on length. Buy a length recommended by the paddle guides, too much leverage is as bad as too much area.

I used a 194cm Sidekick for a couple of years and constantly had shoulder trouble, after finally listening to Sean O'Sullivan's advice changed to the smaller Player and paddled issue free for years but with a niggling doubt I needed a 197cm. I borrowed one and my shoulder trouble reared up again, so back to a 194cm.

The Player/Sidekick have a more positive "catch" than Sherpa/Powerhouse which I prefer, Werner says they'll be more tiring over distance but I've never noticed that.

Incidentally Werners guide has me at 210cm or 215cm for sea paddles, I've used their Shuna in both sizes issue free for years also. Smaller area than Player/Sherpa so less issue with over doing leverage.

Cranks.
When Adventure Technology (At) came on the scene I tried the cranks and loved them, this was a 197cm and knowing they didn't suit bought a 194cm.

Here's where it gets weird and why you need to try before you buy, I found it almost impossible to roll with the 194cm crank! After a year I gave up and back to straight shaft Werner Players, I tried Werner cranks and hated them.

I might have just confused the debate but feel free to ask me to try either of mine.

P. S. I'm 5'7" high hence 194cm

Last edited by Paul Heff on Mon 05 Oct 2020, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jackie O'Sullivan, Sarah O'Connor, Sean Reilly and Diarmuid Lane like this post

Back to top Go down
Sean Reilly

Sean Reilly

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-06-17

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeMon 05 Oct 2020, 11:12 am

Its not for sale but I have a Werner powerhouse you can try anytime Jackie its 197 strait shaft.

Jackie O'Sullivan and Diarmuid Lane like this post

Back to top Go down
Sean Powell
Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean Powell

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2018-09-13

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeMon 05 Oct 2020, 12:14 pm

Another important thing I found to consider in a paddle that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the angle of the feather on the paddle. For the most part this is personal preference with 30 and 45 degrees being quite popular in whitewater. It is something you can adjust to on a new paddle but I would recommend buying what your prefer and trying out different angles beforehand same as you would with length and blade size

I use 30 degree Werner Powerhouses as it is my preference for whitewater and it gives me a nice balance for use in freestyle as well. For freestyle 0 degrees paddles are the best as it allows both blades to be doing the same thing but it is important to note that you don't need a 0 degree paddle for freestyle.

Werner released ww 2pc split paddles with an adjustable feather this year which could be good for those interested in freestyle and ww. I do not have one myself but know a number of people who bought them and find them good but once again it's important to try before buying.

Back to top Go down
Jackie O'Sullivan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Thanks     Paddles Icon_minitimeMon 05 Oct 2020, 1:49 pm

Sean Reilly wrote:
Its not for sale but I have a Werner powerhouse you can try anytime Jackie its 197 strait shaft.
Thank you, from what I've read, the powerhouse may be too big for me but it would be good to give it a go and see why.

Sean Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down
Diarmuid Lane
Gold Member
Gold Member
Diarmuid Lane

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2020-09-12

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeMon 05 Oct 2020, 2:11 pm

Sean Reilly wrote:
Sean I’d like to try it out some day if that’s ok just to get a feel for that.

Sean Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Paul Heff

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeMon 05 Oct 2020, 11:23 pm

Jackie O'Sullivan wrote:
....... from what I've read, the powerhouse may be too big for me but it would be good to give it a go and see why.

Try and see what works for you or any other paddler thinking of purchasing, one point to note is that the Sherpa is about 92% the size of the Powerhouse so it'll 'feel' the same with only a little less catch.

IMHO paddles that are fine tipping along the river where you choose the effort can overload you during instinctive braces/sudden acceleration e.g. strong flows/undercurrents can yank the blade. This repeated effort is what eventually strained my own shoulder.

I think guides like Werners are a great resource because they've done the research on what suits different size/gender paddlers Click here for Werner Paddle Fit Guide.

Secondhand; Rough Stuff or H2O could be good options, they were well thought of before stopping production 6 ish years ago.

Adventure Technology are also a very good option and TNP make a Carbon/Kevlar version of the club paddles which are much lighter and have a lovely catch/feel off them and are much cheaper than other brands for the spec you get. Finbarr O'Hanlon used these for a while although I have no idea if he still has them.

Back to top Go down
Sean Reilly

Sean Reilly

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-06-17

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeTue 06 Oct 2020, 11:21 am

Diarmuid lane wrote:
Sean Reilly wrote:
Sean I’d like to try it out some day if that’s ok just to get a feel for that.

No problem at all Diarmuid.

Diarmuid Lane likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jackie O'Sullivan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeTue 06 Oct 2020, 6:24 pm

This post has generated so much information and advice it might be a good idea to take out the advice and put it up as an informative article for all us aspiring paddle purchasers

Back to top Go down
Sean O'Sullivan
Admin
Sean O'Sullivan

Registration date : 2008-01-18

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeTue 06 Oct 2020, 8:50 pm

Jackie O'Sullivan wrote:
This post has generated so much information and advice it might be a good idea to take out the advice and put it up as an informative article for all us aspiring paddle purchasers

Nah Jackie. We just tell people to ask Paul Heff! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Paul Heff and Jackie O'Sullivan like this post

Back to top Go down
evan roberts
Gold Member
Gold Member
evan roberts

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2006-11-24

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2020, 9:59 pm

H2o are very heavy.paddle and I had a cranked paddle and sold it
I use a cranked Werner shuna for sea paddling at 30 degrees
My ww paddle is indestructible  kevlar Rough stuff Kinetik
IRISH made

Jackie O'Sullivan likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://evanrobertseng@hotmail.com
d1conorlehane
Silver Member
Silver Member
d1conorlehane

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2009-08-14

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2020, 6:05 pm

I have a werner player for sale. It's in the club for anyone to try it. Not sure of the length.
160 euro ish.
Selling on behalf of a third party.
Back to top Go down
Jackie O'Sullivan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Paddle    Paddles Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2020, 6:21 pm

[quote="d1conorlehane"]I have a werner player for sale. It's in the club for anyone to try it. Not sure of the length.
160 euro ish.
Selling on behalf of a third party.
[/quote
I'll give it a try tomorrow ]
Back to top Go down
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Paul Heff

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2020, 9:12 pm

One point to consider Re crankshaft paddles is they will always be heavier due to reinforcment around the crank.

Aspiring paddle purchasers will have noted the variety of opinions among experienced paddlers.... Very Happy

Not too long ago Lendal were to sea paddles as Werner are to whitewater.

Select paddles from France are well worth a look and as Evan pointed out Irish made Rough Stuff were known for durability but unfortunately not made for a few years now.

As Eric pointed out, Canoe Centre have a sale on AT paddles, the Hercules is a lovely blade mid-size between Werner Sherpa and Powerhouse. They are selling the Powerhouse equivalent Geronimo crankshaft for 269, that is insane value. Its a big blade so only really suited to physically strong paddlers.

Back to top Go down
Ken Gargan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Ken Gargan

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2021-01-05

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Apr 2021, 1:46 am

Looking for a right-handed touring paddle if anyone is thinking of selling any?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paddles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paddles    Paddles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paddles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Phoenix Kayak Club Forum :: Buy & Sell-
Jump to: