Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.

Share | 

Appeal for Kayaking Equipment.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hynser

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Appeal for Kayaking Equipment.    Mon 31 Aug 2015, 12:32 pm

Hi there everyone.

I am working with a Youth group in Macroom, Co. Cork and we are looking to set up a Canoe Club for them.

You might recall about 6 years ago, we hosted a very successful Mountain Biking project for previous students here over the course of a year, which yielded some excellent results as well as employment for two of them in bike shops! At the time, the Irish Mountain Biking community gave us great support at the time by donating much needed equipment to support our project.

Due to our location we have a number of excellent kayaking locations, which could allow our students to enjoy the sport and hopefully create opportunities for them. There are a number of Post Leaving Cert Courses and Traineeships that they could aim for as progression after they leave here. By giving them a solid foundation in activities such as Kayaking / Canoeing, not only will we increase their skills and self confidence but hopefully it will lead to opportunities in life for them.

Our funding is very limited in this project and we donít have the money to buy a new fleet of equipment etc. This, is hopefully where you come in. Over the years as part of my Outdoor work I have given lots of kit, time and advice to emerging talents and paddlers. Now I need a favour or two back in order to make this project work.

I am asking the Irish Kayaking community for donations of equipment. Perhaps you are an adventure centre, Canoe club or an individual with some kayaking gear lying around that, may be of use to us. So perhaps, you might have some spare kit that is still usable that you might consider donating to us here?

We need the following equipment, to get the Canoe club started.

6 x general purpose / river running type kayaks. Even sit on tops would do to get us started. Maybe the kayaks might even need some basic repairs, which we are happy to do.

6 x paddles.

6 x Buoyancy Aids.

6 x Spray Decks.

6 x Cags.

6 x Helmets

Wetsuits to fit teenagers from 16-19 for example S, M, L, XL either long johns or surf steamers would do.

We also need atrailer, this doesnít have to be specifically a Canoe trailer, but if we could get a basic chassey, we could build on the rack to take the kayaks etc.

If you have any other kayak related equipment that you think may benefit us, please give me a shout. Over the coming months we will be documenting our students progress and you will get to see how your kit has helped these young people enjoy kayaking and gain some very valuable life skills.

Thanks in advance and if you have something to donate, please contact Jon Hynes on 087 3931633.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Appeal for Kayaking Equipment.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1