Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.

Share | 

Roof rails

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ian.osullivan@gmail.com
Admin

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2014-08-28

PostSubject: Roof rails   Wed 29 Apr 2015, 5:04 pm

Hi Peeps,

Would the Lidl roof rails (coming in on the 4th May) be suitable for kayaks? They'd fit my Megane too eh?

See here - http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=24313

Ta,

Sull
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simon kenny
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails   Wed 29 Apr 2015, 6:19 pm

They are the job have a set on the Kia

Must have a set off roof rails on the car to fit them

John Kenny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ian.osullivan@gmail.com
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails   Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:05 pm

Nice one JayKay. Must get the straps too so. Recommend any?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2192
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails   Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:41 am

In the best tradition of why use ten words, when you can use hundreds, or 336 to be precise..  Very Happy

Personally, I prefer when roof bar attachments clamp around the whole rail, not just clamp the edges, like these.

Another point to consider is noise, my Halfords bars make way more noise on the Ceed than the Octavia or Mondeo (virtually silent) before it, you'll have to fit them to test this though! Buy right and you'll get years out of them.

RE Straps. First point is make sure they're long enough for what you need, but not too long... Sounds obvious, but think how you might use them.

2 x 3m straps - okay for the playboat and sea kayak, but not long enough for the creeker.

2 x 4m straps - will strap any size boat, but you'll more than likely have a lot of leftover strap. I cut the two I use most regularly down (3.3m & 3.6m) so they are still long enough to tie off around the roof rail.

1 x 5m strap - will tie most boats down, but do you want to trust just one strap?

If at some point you will be carrying more than two boats, you will need a couple 5m or 6m straps.

Good quality straps will easily cost 15 euro or more, but will last years if you don't abuse them, just like throwropes don't stand on them as grit getting in will weaken the strap, and scratch your pride and joy!

Always, tie off the excess strap, don't trust the cam buckles 'cos I have had a few slip over the years, and always go through a security point/handle on the kayak. I've had a couple kayaks dangling off the roof when the they shifted forward under hard braking, without going through the loops they'd have come off.

Think of how you tie them down, the kayak will experience near hurricane force wind when you're in a hurry to the get-on...

And if you are one of the nutters I've seen who use nothing more than bungees to strap you're boat down...  No

ian.osullivan@gmail.com
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails   Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:55 am

Cheers Heff. Comprehensive as ever.... haha.

I'll get these ones so. Can't go too far wrong at that price. I prob won't use them all to often but will prob use it a few times over summer.

And I'll buy a few bungies to strap me down... hahahah. Something like these will do for me I'd say - Thules from Halfords
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simon kenny
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails   Thu 30 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm

We use 2x 4mtr Thule straps per kayak.

Have managed to tie down 2 kayaks per two straps on occasion.

Never had a boat move or come off in 4 years.

Just pull the straps tight enough over the boats.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails   

Back to top Go down

Roof rails
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1