Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.

Share | 

Summer paddling abroad

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Eoin O'Callaghan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Summer paddling abroad    Sun 23 Nov 2014, 7:48 pm

I want to go away paddling over the summer (whitewater ) not pushed about where ! I'm hoping to go with the kayaking company ! If there is people interested we could get a group together ? Just a suggestion!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2119
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Sun 23 Nov 2014, 9:25 pm

Lot's of people talking about this already. I am interested, probably.....

Ruth mc auliffe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 658
Registration date : 2011-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:46 pm

There are a lot of people interested. But the ability of everyone is very varied.
There is the option of booking in with an organised group or, if enough people come together, we might have enough experience to do it as a PKC trip.
I suggest we pick a night for everyone interested to meet together. The commons inn seems to suit a lot of people. Possibly Wednesday 3rd of December to let people think about it?
Or, next Saturday at the club house after the morning paddle?
Some people who expressed interest were
Steven Fitz
Kieran O'driscoll
Olive Donegan
George o'callaghan
Finbarr o Hanlon
Evan roberts
Ruth mcauliffe
paul foley
Ruadhan
Denis
Annmarie
And there are more but I can't think of them just at this minute

Last edited by Ruth mc auliffe on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Eoin O'Callaghan
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 4:10 pm

I think Wednesday the 3rd of dec would be a good option ! as some people (me) work weekends!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ruth mc auliffe
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 4:16 pm

Ok so, Wednesday 3rd December, 8pm at thecommons inn.

Any one with any interest or input welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
RuadhanKH

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 4:34 pm

im interested!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denis queally
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 6:03 pm

Add me to sure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fergal ob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2012-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

Brilliant idea Very Happy would love to go... wait a minute wife, two kids, dog, shift work on second thoughts count me out Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darragh Burke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

This subject comes up most years and unfortunately rarely does anything come of it. You need people to commit early so you know how many of you there are and what level of safety/guides you'd need. Committing means booking flights or handing over a deposit as otherwise people pull out in drips and drabs and the plan falls apart.

For an introduction to the alps Slovenia is a very good option. Something for all levels and plenty that isn't too pushy. It's sunny and cheap and easy to organise. Down side its the far side of the Alps so flying to Venice/Treviso and hiring a cars with rails that you can duct tape a few pieces of 1X2 to is necessary. The drive from the airport is not far though and everything is in one valley when you get there. Can't remember the camping situation there but a lodge/hotel is cheap. Even the students were staying indoors.

France is another option and plenty of university clubs bring beginners there. While the steep and fast rivers get all the press there are lots of stuff that is not nuts. The advantage is that if someone has a big van you can load it up with boats and gear and a few of you drive out and everyone else just fly's out with hand luggage. It also makes locking gear up easier. Gear does get stolen, especially in France. The campsite here is good and next to a slalom course on the end of some of the runs. You can also rent houses in the town itself.

As regards safety a few good instructors should be enough for the rivers you would be doing but ideally it should be paddlers who have been on them in the last year or two and that rules out most of the club. The Kerry postmaster or the army medic are the most recent visitors to Briancon that I can think of(and they left someone behind in hospital for surgery when they left). You could also offer to pay the accommodation and food of some of the paddlers who will be there anyway. There is a bunch of very good university paddlers who are usually short of cash and looking for an excuse to stay on an extra week. Its also always good to have someone young, fit and immortal to chase gear. Gear does get broken and lost. I can think of a few members and former members who have lost or destroyed boats in France the last couple of years.

Date to go is another consideration. Each section goes from high to low at different times and can be unrunnable if it rains on top of the melt. Talk to some experts. The guys in the kayaking company, Benny Cullen or Dave Glasswell all have a wealth of experience so talk to them before you pick a date.

Get everyone's expectations as well. Not everyone want to paddle every day and some will want to paddle every minute that they can. Some people just want to paddle and have fun and some will want to push themselves to do bigger stuff over the course of the week. Set expectations so everyone knows what they will and won't get out of the week.

Can't make the meeting on the 3rd but feel free to ping me if you have any questions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Davis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:25 pm

fergal ob wrote:
Brilliant idea Very Happy  would love to go... wait a minute wife, two kids, dog, shift work on second thoughts count me out Sad

Ditto and €
Back to top Go down
View user profile
micheal mc sweeney
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm

DarraghB wrote:

The Kerry postmaster or the army medic are the most recent visitors to Briancon that I can think of(and they left someone behind in hospital for surgery when they left).

Myself and the train driver called to see the undertaker before we left for home and he seemed happy enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:42 pm

Defo wud be interested in trip away again.
Back to top Go down
Olive Donegan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2010-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:09 pm

Hi there,

I’m definitely up for this in 2015, I’ve looked into it a small bit, so far here are some of the options out there:

ICU
The ICU have in past run introductory kayaking trips to alpine white water. I reached out to them not so long ago to inquire if they intend to run any trips in 2015. Unfortunately it doesn’t sound like anything is planned….yet….… My understanding is that the ICU trips have been well run in the past - good safety, good organisation and excellent level of experienced/qualified instructors, however, the downside it they tend to be slow to decide if they are running these trips or not, in fact I don’t believe they ended up running them last year (but I may be wrong here).

Kayaking.ie
Another company other club members have used in the past is Kayaking.ie. You can check out their web page for planned 2015 trips:

http://www.kayaking.ie/

They are running a number of trips for different levels. One that caught my attention is the planned trip from May 22nd to May 29th in the Soca Valley Slovenia. Cost is €1050.00 and includes three meals a day, accommodation, all transport while there, gear, equipment and six days of instruction.

Gene17
This company is actually UK based and I’ve heard they are very good. They have also planned some trips to the Soca Valley in 2015. Check out the link for more details. They insist on three students to every one instructor so you are guaranteed a very good level of tuition. The price is €1275 and includes three meals a day, accommodation, all transport while there (including Airport shuttles) but gear is limited.

http://gene17kayaking.com/whitewater-kayaking-trips/soca-fundamental-core/

There are lots of options out there really, I think a lot of it will come down to peoples personal preferences and what they want to get from the trip. Hope to pop along on the 3rd.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Wed 26 Nov 2014, 1:03 am

When we went for the first ten days in July 2011, we joined up with Liverpool Canoe Club. They go every year and we were able to take advantage of their knowledge RE get-on, shuttles, rivers to start with etc.

I spent about 650 for a week of paddling (plus a day and a bit travelling each way) that covered everything; Ferry, diesel (1/3 share), motel (outward & return), campsite, food, drink, travel & gear insurance etc etc

Note: choose a ferry that gets in to France early, we left the port around 6pm drove until almost midnight, motel, then hit the road at 10am the following day, arriving about 6pm, it's a long way down...

We stayed at Camping-des-Ecrins in Argentiere-la-Bessee alongside the slalom.

Sports Travel Insurance - UK site that does take Irish paddlers, you need to contact them.

Cheap motel if overnighting on the way

Pat's guide to rivers in the Durance basin. We did Argentiere to St Clements as the first run, unreal scenery around here.

Seamus O'Mahony's pictures from the trip.

Lots of info from forum discussion in 2011

Steven Fitzgerald
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Wed 26 Nov 2014, 7:41 pm

I'm in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven Fitzgerald
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Wed 26 Nov 2014, 7:44 pm

I've my Xmas party so Won't make the meeting unless ye end up in soho or secret garden if everyone isn't barred
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d1conorlehane
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:37 pm

The electrician wants to go!!!! I would suggest set a date for a meeting put it out there and see how many are interested and make a more specific plan once we know the level of interest, I would think in my opoinion a phoenix trip oranised through/ in conjunction with the likes of Jenny kilbride or ICU or similar would be the best plan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:43 pm

I thought there was a meeting on the 3rd? I can only say fantastic things about the trip in slovenia with Jenny and kayaking .ie it was so amazing it has made me want to kayak more. Very well originsed accommodation food and equipment all included in €1050. She can organise a bus from the airport too if there was enough interest. Last ur we hired a car but really it was left in the car park for the week. The appartments we stayed in were fab and breakfast was had in one spot each morning with fresh bread rolls got for the lunch also.
Back to top Go down
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:33 pm

Seems like there is lots of ideas, the pessimist in me notices different "a number of best ways to do it already...."

I do expect the likes of Jenny et al providing a very good service, but having paddled in the alps don't see it as a necessity for a club trip. I suppose it all depends on paddling/financial expectations.

€1050? + flights? I took the family to France for two weeks for that...

Kieran O'Driscoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Fri 28 Nov 2014, 5:26 pm

Ruth mc auliffe wrote:

Some people who expressed interest were

Kieran O'Driscoll

I'm definitely interested but unfortunately not able to make it on the 3rd.

(Working for a brewery in December is not easy)
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
evan roberts
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2006-11-24

PostSubject: Meeting commons inn Tue   Sun 30 Nov 2014, 1:57 pm

Can i suggest we meet at the Commons in Tuesday at 6.45 re Trip to summer paddling trip and then hold the Committee meeting at 8pm
It means some people only have to come to cork on one night
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://evanrobertseng@hotmail.com
Eoin O'Callaghan
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 2:27 pm

CIT pool sessions are on tuesday with a number of pkc members attending aswell as 3 pkc members who want to go on the trip
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ruth mc auliffe
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 5:11 pm

If the rest of the committee can make Wednesday, would it suit to move that to Wednesday? I'm working until 8 but I could try for a swop to get out earlier.

Denis is working until 9 in the commons on Wednesday and is interested in going abroad - so pushing back the time would suit him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 7:49 pm

I can't make 6:45, too early. Also I don't think we'd be anywhere near done in 1 1/4 hours as I suspect there's a number of potential ways of doing the alps to be explained and discussed, even if it is an info gathering meeting.

I suggest pushing it out to next week, whilst people go and get concrete info on options, costs, etc etc to inform others and ensure people have a better idea of their options...

As I see it the options are:

Location: Slovenia (SOCA), French Alps, Austria, Italian Alps

Travel: ferry, fly/drive, ferry gear & fly/drive

Guide: DIY, hire a local guide, hire a local guide for the sportier stuff (fit young kayaking talent to chase disappearing gear....), commercial operators.

Accommodation: camping v's chalet v's hotel

Personally, and having done it, I absolutely don't see the need for commercial/professional help for the kinda of rivers the majority of people are capable of paddling at. I would defo be more chalet than camping but that could be a symptom of not being a camping guru like Evan.

denis queally
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:35 am

How about 7.30 in mc cartys bar in Bishopston on a Thursday night before the pool session
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer paddling abroad    

Back to top Go down

Summer paddling abroad
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next