Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.

Share | 

Sluice changes by the city council

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darragh Burke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Sluice changes by the city council   Thu Jul 31 2014, 00:41

Does anyone know what changes are being proposed by the city council?
Has anyone from the club or CI been involved?

Potentially diverting flow from the south channel and move it to the north channel to prevent flooding of the city. They could change the sluice and we could be left with no feature.

Below is from yesterdays journal

http://www.thejournal.ie/cork-city-flood-defences-1592912-Jul2014/

NEW FLOOD DEFENCES are planned for Cork City and initial designs are now open for the public to study at Cork City Hall.
The project is currently in the development stage and will examine the options available for the improvement of flood defences along the River Lee to Cork Harbour adjacent to Pairc Ui Chaoimh.
Tributaries prone to flooding in areas such as Blackpool and Ballyvolane are also to be studied with the plan expected to be completed by March 2015.
A range of different measures are being considered with the construction of additional flood defences and the implementation of new flood warning systems among them.
The final plans will displayed publicly for at least four weeks and a tender process is slated for November 2015 with construction beginning immediately after a winner is selected.
One of the primary challenges in the project is an Environmental Impact Assessment to identify the potential effects of the areas may be impacted by the new flood alleviation measures.
An Exhibition Report, including all observations received from the public will be sent to the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform before formal approval.
Cork City was among one of the worst effected areas at the beginning of this year when heavy rains and high tides cause havoc nationwide.
The preferred plans will be on display until next Tuesday 5 August and representatives from the Office of Public Works design team will be in attendance at Cork City Hall today from 2pm to 9pm to answer questions about the project.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alan higgins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Thu Jul 31 2014, 10:26

My friend who does a lot of fishing around there said there going to use the pumphouse at the top of the weir again ,wich will take some water away from the sluice side I suppose,,, not much given the position of it unless they divert water to the pump inlet way before the weir,,, doubt theyl take on that,, be huge job
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darragh Burke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Thu Jul 31 2014, 10:51

My point is we don't really know what is happening.
If they are making changes we may be able to get our opinions taken into consideration. Involve CI and we could end up with a nice feature. Wait and see what happens and there mightn't even be a sluice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alan higgins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Thu Jul 31 2014, 12:20

Have we any "insiders" in the county hall or in town ?? , your gona need someone in the loop to help you with this one Darragh,,, this could get interesting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2118
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Fri Aug 01 2014, 01:13

I have looked at the favoured proposal and how it will affect Phoenix members. Below is the localised map of concern to us, (we are the square grey blob on the left of the pic underneath the road ramp).

The main flood scheme change is construction of embankments (bright green) and walls along the length of the Lee, this would directly affect us by creation of a 1.5 metre embankment between us and the river, obviously necessitating a modification to how we would access the pontoon. They also propose raising the road, so we would have to drive 'down' into the car park.

Down by the sluice, they propose using a barrier during flood events to restrict water flow down the South Channel (black hatch at bottom right of pic), thereby actually putting more water through/over the sluice.

At the moment the flood defence scheme doesn't seem to majorly affect us, indeed the embankment may allow us to build a ramp to launch into the river.....
However, we will have to carefully watch any proposal to change/re-develop the sluice area, and possibly talk to Canoeing Ireland to see if we can get them to propose improvements to the sluice.

Upstream of us; they intend creating 'washlands' (as they call them) to restore the flood plain that would have existed before housing developments etc. changed the natural state of the land along the river. Slowing water flow off the land reduces, the flood surge downstream, not sure if this will impact us, we are not in a designated zone for this, so we shouldn't be routinely under water.

steven darby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Fri Aug 01 2014, 10:11

Found this photo on an old hard drive. There's certainly a very large distance that would have to be protected, can't imagine it would be cost effective.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Fri Aug 01 2014, 12:13

steven d wrote:
..........can't imagine it would be cost effective.

The picture is just of what's adjacent to us, the works extend up to the dam and through the city. They are proposing to raise some roads & bridges, plus install flood walls, gates and other works throughout the city.

zuppy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 974
Registration date : 2006-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Tue Aug 05 2014, 23:57

Cost effective is a subjective statement.

Major flood planning for emergencies was held a few weeks ago with the stakeholders as well as cost implications to business on a city wide scale if we end up like Bandon (business unable to get or afford insurance). That and the consultants report (as far as I know) looked at cost versus benefit. These are not the gold standard / most expensive option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Wed Aug 06 2014, 00:07

Is that a unique shot of the original clubhouse roof I wonder  Question 

It didn't last long that one.....

Sean O'Sullivan
Admin

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Wed Aug 06 2014, 08:18

Wasn't the 2nd roof on by the time of the flooding????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Wed Aug 06 2014, 12:50

Sean O'Sullivan wrote:
Wasn't the 2nd roof on by the time of the flooding????

No, the flood was in November, we moved in after the new year. There were no doors on at the time and if you look closely the roof section runs river-to-road, they run in line with the road now. Roof hasn't been screeded yet.

On another note, that roof came down 18th April 2010...

evan roberts
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2006-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Wed Aug 06 2014, 20:57

i think that is the second roof as the venitilation opes are filled in. also CIT container on the left was ready to head down river.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://evanrobertseng@hotmail.com
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Thu Aug 07 2014, 01:27

evan roberts wrote:
i think that is the second roof as the venitilation opes are filled in. also CIT container on the left was ready to head down river.  

Hmmm, interesting... Any date on that pic Stephen?

Timeline:

The big flood was Nov 2009, we moved in Feb/March 2010, construction was finished (allegedly!).

The roof came down April 18th, but this pic shows construction and flooding ? I don't recall a flood April-June 2010??

Surely this means it is the Nov 09 flood  scratch 

steven darby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Thu Aug 07 2014, 09:12

Timestamp on the phot is 2009-77-20 16:10:28. I have no doubt this is the old roof, I have lots of photos somewhere of it in pieces with mangeld boats underneath, I'll have to look for them. At the time I thought the flood had washed out the foundations, causing the collapse. I wasn't aware it was destined to collapse whenever it warmed up a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evan roberts
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2006-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Thu Aug 07 2014, 18:12

yes i checked my photos and flood pics 20/21 Nov and the roof 16 april
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://evanrobertseng@hotmail.com
Stephen Hamill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Mon Aug 11 2014, 05:17

Just ask them to be sound and recreate hpp inlet gate hole and ignore the "Flood relief plans"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/199hamill
seanmc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Mon Aug 11 2014, 09:47

Coming back to Paul Heff's post with the map.
If the council/OPW/state do build an embankment and raise the road, surely that would have the effect of putting the club grounds down in a hollow where it would be become a natural sump for any rainwater or run off from buildings up the hill.

With a hill on one side of the club any water that runs off that will naturally run to the lowest point, which would be the river until it meets a levee in the way.

I'd fear that the club site would be permanently soggy then. If we do have heavy rain, the embankment will stop the river getting to the club site but it will also stop the water getting from club to the river, unless we have pumps in place.

Someone who know's more can tell me if I'm wrong on all of this.

Seán Mc
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   Mon Aug 11 2014, 09:53

Sean you're right, especially with the 'road ramp' that has been proposed. This is something that has been discussed offline, we will have to ensure if this does go ahead that drainage of the site is included in the works.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sluice changes by the city council   

Back to top Go down

Sluice changes by the city council
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1