Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.
Latest topics
» Micks Garage Roof Bars
by Eoin O'Callaghan Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» Kayak Gear Buying Guide
by Harry O Brien Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:21 am

» Canoeing Ireland Policy Review
by Paul Heff Thu 05 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

» Winner of the BBC National short story award.
by Paul O Farrell Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm

» Cockpit Cover Wanted
by Paul Heff Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:22 pm

» Race training
by Jason Nagle Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

» Seaboat Wanted
by alan higgins Wed 27 Sep 2017, 1:40 pm

» Backrest for Dancer
by DylanRoche Tue 26 Sep 2017, 10:20 am

» Typhoon Multisport
by JohnJustice Mon 25 Sep 2017, 2:32 pm

Keywords
Winter Pool gear Slovenia clothing access Suicide removal Turkey Union Decent chandlery Safety Skills Death club Instructor course liffey rolling

Share | 

dry suit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fergal ob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-03-13

PostSubject: dry suit   Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:59 pm

Hi guys I was just wandering does anybody know or have any comment about this dry suit the price is 342$ inc shipping would appreciate some expert feedback cheers fergal

http://www.shakoo-watersports.com/e_productshow/?18-Zoom-----Enlarge--Sell-one-like-this---Marine-Stikine-Dry-Suitone-pieceOrangeAll-sizes-18.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
micheal mc sweeney
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: dry suit   Mon 18 Mar 2013, 6:16 pm

I've no expert feed back to give, but these UK paddlers have a thing or two to say about suits from China in general : http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70554&hilit=China+Dry+Suit

And about the Shakoo Suits specifically : http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96838&p=670811&hilit=Dry+Suit#p670811

Probably not much help, but there you go.
Something to be aware of when buying kit from outside the EU, the Customs are pretty on the ball these days at charging and following up any money due on goods bought outside the EU. Probably worth factoring into the price.

If you are looking for a cheapish dry suit, I know the foxy lad from Coolea is watching to sell his Lomo Dry Suit. I've no idea what price. If you want I can PM you his mobile number.
The suit is newish and hasn't seen too much use. He seems to prefer cycling down the side of hills these days, instead of paddling down the side of hills. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2164
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: dry suit   Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:09 am

Agree with Michael's assessment, you'd be better off buying a good second hand suit from a known company. Although the established manufacturers occasionally have problems with gear, at least you'd have some chance of getting it fixed.

If you do buy, add the VAT, you are 99% likely to get stung. An Post or couriers won't give anything to you unless you pay first.

Try Canoe and Kayaks for Sale page on Facebook, always a good idea to put on the suit and jump in water when buying 2nd hand too Very Happy

fergal ob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-03-13

PostSubject: dry suit   Tue 19 Mar 2013, 4:21 pm

thanks for the expert advice guys not in any major rush to purchase but if a bargain was to come up i would take the opportunity. Import duty is 5% plus 23% vat but the products authenticity is unknown and there doesn't seem to be too many users of this product out in the kayaking forums. So I will keep looking if you do hear of anyone looking to off load a drysuit i am 5 ft nine medium. I will keep my other measurements personal but can be pmd if further details are necessary. cheers fergal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sean (Gadget) Lynn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: drysuit .. !    Tue 19 Mar 2013, 4:30 pm

i'm in the same literal "boat" as fergal,looking out for a drysuit but having had a look at the chinese website, i'd agree with the lads that it's best to purchase a good secound hand one or hold out for a sale online and be hopeful of a bargain, within a recognised brand name, where you have more of a comeback,in the event of a problem ... ! my 2c worth ... !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael crudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: dry suit   Tue 19 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dry suit