Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.

Share | 

Today at Dublin Sluice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stephen Hamill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Today at Dublin Sluice   Sun 29 Jul 2012, 8:01 pm

Myself, John and Joe were at the junior development day in Lucan today and it was unreal. We got top notch freestyle coaching from the likes of Moe and Len Kelleher, Niamh Cleary and The "Sluice Crew" Robbie O'Shea, Conor Macken and Tom Gallione.

They showed us the proper warm up and stretching both on and off water and it really helped. i wasn't sore at all after getting off the water of 3 and a half solid hours of hard work.
They knew exactly how to sort problems we were having with freestyle on the flat and thought us tricks and routines to eventually over time overcome them and nail the moves we were trying to learn in the flat.

John and Joe learned bow stalls and improved their cartwheels and i eventually got my first 2 ends in a flat water cartwheel. We then moved to the sluice to learn hole moves. It was amazing. Easy to surf for beginners and the pros themselves. Nice to carve and Clean spin on. We even threw a few good loops and the obligatory complete fail at an attempt a move i definitely can't do... the McNasty. Needless to say that went horribly wrong and i window shaded in the hole.

In all it think that more club members should attend these if you want to progress in freestyle. Moving to features like Sluice will help nail hole moves too as it's deep and good to go to loop and cartwheel much easier than our own Sluice. Its the best feature we have without traveling abroad. It's definitely not creekboat friendly though. Their too big for it and dangerous. someone was paddling one today and i got it to the head twice. Definitely a playboats only trip.

Just thought id sum up the trip for the rest of the club really.

The three of us have plans to go paddle Sluice once every month or two to progress enough to enter the rodeos on next years league if people want to come along and try and get a few of us slightly competitive in the line-up. Maybe even pull around fifth place if we're lucky! theres no beating the dubs anyway thats for sure!

Great Day out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/199hamill

PostSubject: Re: Today at Dublin Sluice   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 12:28 pm

Good stuff lads, glad you got something out of it. I'm living near (Dublin!) sluice at the moment so if you guys are up any time let me know and I'll come paddle with you. My paddling has definitely improved since moving up here, just remember the water isn't the cleanest so make sure you wash face / hands / gear after!
Regarding the competitions - you should come along anyway, you'll always find someone to give you a few tips, you can learn a lot just from watching the mens expert classes, and you might even do better than you think!
flower
Muireann
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hamill
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Today at Dublin Sluice   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 5:53 pm

also anyone in cork have a medium jackson rockstar i can have a go in?
Back to top Go down
Dónal Clancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 701
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: well done guys   Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:12 am

really great to get the report and good for you for making the effort.

keep it up, along with the reports and how about some picts next time?

well done again

dónal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen Hamill
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Today at Dublin Sluice   Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:58 am

Had no cameraman this time donal. Did have 3 gopros with us but all were left in the car as usual. lol! Very Happy Will get pics next time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today at Dublin Sluice   

Back to top Go down

Today at Dublin Sluice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1