Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.

Share | 

thursday evenings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-27

PostSubject: thursday evenings   Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:02 pm

hey guys
i'll be running the thursday nights for the next few weeks. i've been reading the forum and i'm realzing there are some specific requirments for the club. In short however i think these seem to pop out; level 3 development and trying out other disciplines. with a little bit of creativity i think we can easely mix these things together.

tonight however i think i'd like to concentrate on improving (and making slick) some of the level 3 silibus.

so if everbody could paddle a river running boat (highish volume) please

regards

Hugh

(sorry if i posted this a little late)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: off to a wacking start   Fri 13 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

thursday evening was very successfull, there was at least 13 people, we were sharp and attentive, most of the time, therefore covered loads of stuff.
i'm deffinetly changing my plan as i go along, based on requirments i see before me. feel free to use this thread to give some ideas to stuff you want covered.

at the moment the plan for next week will be very similar to this week, flat water skills, rescues, roll development/confedence and self rescues. so dress for submersion. the ideal boat for next week will be a river runner or a creeker.

there is a bit of a slalom vibe going on in the club at the moment if we could get some gates up just near the jetty i'd love to include it in the session. one line could give us two gates??

i dont want to hy-jack anybody's hobby if you just want to come along and go for a paddle in a seperate group, go for it, we'll help out.

as soon as we can then we'll run a session down at the sluice then we'll speed onto some other disceplines

smashing

Hugh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ruth mc auliffe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 658
Registration date : 2011-10-17

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 1:21 pm

Hi Hugh,
What time are ye out on Thursdays? I missed last week but I should make from here on out.
Ruth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2120
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

Hi Ruth

Thursday evening sessions start at 6:30pm

Paul
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ruth mc auliffe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 658
Registration date : 2011-10-17

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 3:24 pm

Thanks Paul
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d1conorlehane
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

Hi hugh I agree with your post, Thurs night went very well, One thing that I reckon we all need to spruce up on is our rescue's. Our knowledge of different methods of rescue, our ability to rescue people as quick as we should etc, I know myself I could prob do with a bit of practice anyway, Just a thought!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:00 am

excellant conor
we'll definetly look at rescues. i'm toying with going down the sluice sometime in the session. alan will be along so maybe we can split up.
in a few weeks we'll have loads of new people coming along who we'll have to keep progressing. i observed last week that only three of the group were from last years cohort, like other clubs, i've been involved with, retention seems to be the problem. so; i'd like to get rescue skills and confedence up so that all the guys out on thursdays can teach the new level 2's when they arrive. i also want to run a playboating session, a sea boat session, sprint/marathon session, how to rescue an open-boat, intro to moving water, rope work, self rescues, more rolling.
lots to do, i'll need your help.

Hugh

PS hey ruth it will be great to have you along
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen Hamill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

As the sluice and weir will have way more potential for teaching freestyle tomorrow than it usually does due to all this rain can we do the freestyle week tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/199hamill
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: go for it guys   Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:17 pm

guys who feel they'd benefit from sluice/freestyle should probably just run there own play boat session and i'll stick with the previous plan. my experience with sluice sessions is they're very poor value as most people just sit in eddies and look on. so keep the play boat group small and the rest of us will build up our confedence/skills else where.

see you tomorrow evening
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm

sorry haven't posted sooner but i've out and about.

the session last week went super. we looked at some advanced strokes and where to use them did some excellent rescues and finished off with some good rolling. i'd like to thank everyone for being super enthusiastic and getting stuck-in with the excersizes. feel free to feedback or critique on here it would be nice to adjust sessions for what people want.

this week (if alan agrees) we'll devide up in a similar way to last week. we'll ask alan to do some discepline specific stuff and i'll do more generic skills.
if you could discide early-on what you want to do and get togehter as a group. i'd like to brief my group together and launch at the same time. this will allow me to work on some skills of my own.
the plan is to start on rescues earlier while keeping people dry for the first half and if conditions allow we'll move onto moving water and look at rescues and skills there

look foreward to seeing you all

Hugh
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Thurs night sessions   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

Thanks Hugh for last week , getting out and back into boat great fun. would love a rolling session to finish with.Also a fitness programme to get us all very agile on water. OH YES a good warm up session before getting on water. Surprised Surprised
Back to top Go down
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 11:48 pm

thanks margarett
i have been a fitness trainer in the past but my advice in this situation is 'just go paddling'
warm-up is a good idea. i usually do this by starting with easy excercises on the water. tomorrow we'll get together have a briefing a warm up and go paddling. i can do a rolling session but we'll have to choose our time as not everyone needs it.

looking foreward to tomorrow

Hugh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:03 am

as usuall we changed the plan as we went along but we achieved loads.
olive it appears is now an awsome paddler, mairi can do the most elegant of rolls, denis may have to start taking pills in case his enthusiasm causes him an injury and margaret in the hero of self rescues.

well done everyone
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Thurday evenings   Sat 28 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

Hugh I hope you meant heroine, but i take the complement ,heres hoping it was meant as one. Nice to hear you were gardening before you came kayaking. Really enjoyed all our rescues last night. YOU MUST GET TOUGHER AND GIVE US MORE CHALLENGING TASKS. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mairi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:47 am

Eh - careful what you wish for Margaret!

Thanks Hugh for another good night - it is always useful to keep practicing the rescue skills. Looking forward to next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paula
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-05-14

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Wed 02 May 2012, 10:53 pm

Just a reminder to everyone to make sure to sign in the members book on Thursday nights and throw 2 euro in the bucket.

And since it is members night - if you haven't done so already please hand in your membership to any of the committee.

Thanks,

Paula

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Wed 02 May 2012, 11:37 pm

lets get tougher....woohoo!

tomorrow we'll be recaping last weeks stuff and adding a little bit more self reliant skills with a bit more time on the component parts of the roll. most of this we will try to do in the moving water of the weir and sluice.

see you all tomorrow

Hugh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Wed 09 May 2012, 8:54 pm

ok, i can make it.

last week was ace thanks to mark for helping out hopefully he can make it tomorrow.
i had good feedback from last weeks; always encouraging.

if we get some water tomorrw i'll stick to the theme with a bit more emphisis on river running skills. we should also look rescueing open canoes and swimmers.

peace man

Hugh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Fri 11 May 2012, 12:10 pm

last night was really successful, i felt a real jump in confidence in the group.

it was possibly the first time the club has ever x rescued an open canoe and olive decided it was actually easier to rescue than a kayak. why? because it is....

Olive is ace and needs to sort out getting a level 3 proficiency in the next few weeks. review the sylibus (below) work on rolling, run a few rivers. easy peasy.
denis also.
declan's confedence is also high.
david and arran are also improving every night, you guys need to get on the water at every opertunity this summer, study the level 3, that's what we're aiming for.
ruth.... awsome
dom ....awsome
donna ....awsome
ciaran.....awsome
someone i missed ....awsome

i'm not there next week so if we're lucky mark will be able to keep going with the level 3 (plus other good stuff) training. a few people have asked for some time to be spent on rolling, we need good ratios for this so it may be difficult for mark to do next week, it's deffinetly a great idea.
i would also like to do some sessions in different boats. for example wave hoppers then polo boats, sea boats and canoes. it's ideal if the whole group is in the same type of boat the session can't really run otherwise.

in a few weeks we're going to have our first batch of level 2's coming through we need to keep the momentum up and keep them learning so that they can realistically aim for there level 3 in september.

love and bubbles

Hugh

http://www.canoe.ie/en-us/awardsqualifications/skillsawards.aspx#_Toc286832619

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verling
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Mon 21 May 2012, 9:13 pm

what happened last week? what cool things were covered?

I won't be around this week either. have fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Tue 22 May 2012, 8:40 am

Hi Hugh,

Some of us tried a few different types of boats, wavehoppers were seen in action. Nervy at first but smooth by the end of the session. We played a game of polo, nothing like a bit of competition to bring out the aggression. The sluice was at a friendly level so we all got stuck in for a bit of a play.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Kieran O'Driscoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   Tue 22 May 2012, 5:18 pm

Last few weeks were great. Thanks Hugh.

Missed last week and away with work again this week. Can't wait to get back next week.

Kieran
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: thursday evenings   

Back to top Go down

thursday evenings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1