Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.
Latest topics
» Immersion Research Shockwave Plus spraydeck - SOLD!!!
by Paul Heff Sat 21 Oct 2017, 11:24 pm

» Micks Garage Roof Bars
by Eoin O'Callaghan Wed 18 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm

» Kayak Gear Buying Guide
by Harry O Brien Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:21 am

» Canoeing Ireland Policy Review
by Paul Heff Thu 05 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

» Winner of the BBC National short story award.
by Paul O Farrell Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm

» Cockpit Cover Wanted
by Paul Heff Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:22 pm

» Race training
by Jason Nagle Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

» Seaboat Wanted
by alan higgins Wed 27 Sep 2017, 1:40 pm

» Backrest for Dancer
by DylanRoche Tue 26 Sep 2017, 10:20 am

Keywords
removal clothing Suicide club liffey Decent chandlery Death course access Winter Pool gear Turkey rolling Safety Slovenia Instructor Skills Union

Share | 

surf kayaks????????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
d1conorlehane
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: surf kayaks????????   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

I am looking into buying a boat for surfing, I have a playboat and a creek boat which are both adequate in surf, but I want to progress to a boat designed specifically for surfing. could anyone give me information on whats out there, disadvantages and advantages of surf kayaks over wave skis, glass vs plastic etc. thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: surf kayaks????????   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 4:18 pm

Kieran in bantry bay canoes knows alot about them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: surf kayaks????????   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 4:38 pm

as far as i know carbon/fiberglass is better but more expensive Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2173
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: surf kayaks????????   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:55 pm

Mickey Barry is your man!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickeyb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2006-11-29

PostSubject: Re: surf kayaks????????   Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:27 am

Howdy Conor,
I know where you're coming from with regards growing out of your whitewater boats in the surf. Happened me a while back.

I terms of what to look out for, i'd pretty much forget about plastic as you'll grow out of it very quickly. Its more to do with hull stiffness over weight, any give or take in the hull of the surfboat will slow it down and plastic boats no matter how tough they feel all flex.
Basic Fibreglass layups cost the same or not much more than plastic anyway.

So next question is which composite layup to go for, most companies offer 3 types.
Basic - Fibreglass, reasonably tough, not much lighter than plastic, nice and stiff
Intermediate - Usually very very tough, Carbon/Kevlar very stiff, and very light( as a first boat, i'd go for this as strength is usually very good and it will be lighter than most boats you've ever picked up )
Advanced - These are silly expensive, foam core carbon boats usually. Generally not as tough as intermediate, but insanely light and stiff. Very nice option if you can afford.

There are loads of different classes of surfkayak also that all perform differently too. Long boat and Short Boat. Both are real good but very different performance.
As for surfkayak over waveski, that depends on the learning curve you want. Waveski's have higher performance on the wave, but are harder to paddle( alot harder ) and as of the last few weeks its very chilly to be on the ski rather than the kayak.

I have a shortboat, long boat and ski if you ever want a look to see which you like. Not available for demo unfortunately as they are advanced layup and repairs are not fun but might be handy to have a look. Can try get some of the paddlesurf demo boats also. And they should have some demo ski's shortly too.

PM me if you wanna have a look at the boats, or chat about options,
Mickey

With regards boats to look out for,
Future Kayaks do great kayaks, I got my short boat from them, they also do ski's, i'm currently slowing saving for a new ski from these guys.
The workmanship on the layup is great from them and designs are good.
http://www.futurekayaks.com/

Mega Kayaks - www.surfkayaks.com
Great designs, more choice than you could imagine
My long boat is from mega and it goes very nicely. my housemate has a mega boost, and the things is fair nippy too.

Watertech - www.watertechkayaks.com - boats and ski's
Nice toys, i had one of these and alot of people in Ireland seem to like them. very good finish on boats also.
The paddlesurf demo boats are the watertech speedy and lucifer, i had the speedy and loved it, one of the guys has the Ona and is ripping in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d1conorlehane
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: surf kayaks????????   Mon 12 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

Thanks for all the info, hopefully ill be out in the surf early in the new year! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: surf kayaks????????   

Back to top Go down

surf kayaks????????
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1