Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.
Latest topics
» Immersion Research Shockwave Plus spraydeck for sale
by Paul Heff Yesterday at 11:24 pm

» Micks Garage Roof Bars
by Eoin O'Callaghan Wed 18 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm

» Kayak Gear Buying Guide
by Harry O Brien Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:21 am

» Canoeing Ireland Policy Review
by Paul Heff Thu 05 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

» Winner of the BBC National short story award.
by Paul O Farrell Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm

» Cockpit Cover Wanted
by Paul Heff Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:22 pm

» Race training
by Jason Nagle Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

» Seaboat Wanted
by alan higgins Wed 27 Sep 2017, 1:40 pm

» Backrest for Dancer
by DylanRoche Tue 26 Sep 2017, 10:20 am

Keywords
gear Pool Instructor Decent Death Winter rolling Skills Turkey Safety Suicide clothing Union course liffey access removal chandlery club Slovenia

Share | 

pyranha zone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: pyranha zone   Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

hi guys , i m looking at buying a river kayak and came across the pyranha zone , does anyone has one and would it be a good boat for someone learning ? should i consider another boat ? any advice welcome, im 6ft3 and 72 kgs and starting in kayaking.
thanks
anthony
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:42 am

you should try the dagger axiom its really similar to the zone (stable, easy to roll ect.) and good for surfing.http://www.bantry-bay-canoes.com/white-water-kayaks/dagger-axiom.htm Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

was thinking about the dagger axiom so rung bantry bay yesterday and was told they size the same as the dagger gt modelsl . the problem is the gtx is to short to fit my legs in and the gtmax feels like a big tanker, that s why i was thinking in buying my first kayak instead of using the club ones. regards anthony
Back to top Go down
Sean O'Sullivan
Admin

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 12:44 pm

Hi Anthony,
Your problem is your quite light for your height.....if you dont mind me saying Very Happy The zone is the newer version of the inazone. Which is a great allrounder. Good on the river and in the surf. I had 2 inazones myself starting out. I think the zone comes in 3 sizes like the inazone did. your problem may be in order to fit your legs, you may have to go for the large which will have a lot of volume. I'd compare the sizes and volumes of the Axiom and Zones. They are probably quite close. If one of the zone sizes suits you I dont think it would be a bad choice for your first boat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

Hi Anthony, i have the axiom 8.5 if you want to try it for size.
Back to top Go down
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2173
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

How about a Diesel? As in the clubs 75's or the newer model in 80 size?

Jeremy is probably taller and defo heavier (sorry Jeremy!) than you. You'd be amazed at the size of boat he paddles normally, you'd wonder how he gets into it....

I reckon Michael Crudge is similar weight & height to you, and he's happy with the Diesel 80.

The Zone is long, but is also relatively chiselled in profile. If you have big feet, you'd need to see if they fit!

Click for Diesel 80

Paul

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickeyb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2006-11-29

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:13 pm

Zone is on offer up in MDAC at the mo along with a few others.
I like the look of it, reckon it would be an awesome boat in surf also.

I paddle a Diesel 80 myself, love it for River Running, keeps me nice and high on the water and good and safe. If river running is your thing its nice, if an all rounder is your thing the Zone or a small Diesel is the way to go.
If GTmax feels like a tanker, the Diesel 80 will also, but Disel 70 or 75 may suit.

On another note, there's great water about at the mo to play in whatever you get Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2173
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

Good advice there Mickey.

At the risk of hi-jacking the post, how about giving us a breakdown in the For Sale section of whats on offer at the local kayak shop at the moment? A few of the other shops have done so lately.

Paul Heff

Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael crudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

yes Paul i am happy with my 80 and looking forward to getting back into it in december...............
and in case you are wondering i'm 6'1" tall and 80kg and size 11 feet i found it difficult to find a boat to fit me but each to their own, Jeremy fits in a funny size boat and he it taller and heavier than i am..

Last edited by michael crudge on Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickeyb
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 2:02 pm

Will do Paul,
I'll call up and poke around the good deals and post them before the weekend.

If you want to demo a diesel 80, a 65 or 75 let me know and i can try organise it Anto.
For the Zone just pop into shop and sit in it to see do ya fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Wed 26 Oct 2011, 5:53 pm

i tried the medium zone this afternoon and my feet were to big for the boat and they didnt have the large one so i tried the diesel 80 and it felt really big like the gt max so i will take the offer for trying a diesel 70 or 75. the only bad point about the diesel was the price 899 in offer compare to 699 for the pyranha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Fri 28 Oct 2011, 12:22 am

Hi anthony,
I am about the same size as you in height and weight and i fit in most boats like a diesel 75 and other small boats including a blisstick super rad 180 which is tiny scratch which i have no idea how really.But if your looking to buy a boat i would buy second hand first, you can get really good boats with only light scratches on the bottom for very cheap. irishfreestyle.ie forum and donedeal.ie are only a few websites that you can get really good boats on
Back to top Go down
mickeyb
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   Tue 01 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

yo anto,
Let me know when you wanna demo those boats so and i'll see if i can arrange them, my own is the Diesel 80 but you've tried that, would have to collect the others.
PM me and we can sort something.
I'll be adding a couple of more boats to the deals on the MDAC post in the buy and sell section too, didn't catch everything the last time i posted so need to call in again and see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pyranha zone   

Back to top Go down

pyranha zone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1