Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.

Share | 

Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Don O'Hanlon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:44 pm

Hi Donal,

Its great that your willing to do a shuttle and would appreciate a lift back myself Smile
I would suggest driving back up from Islandbridge about 11, would give more than enough time to get back to the start?

But couldn't you still do the race on your with a Dancer or Sea Kayak instead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2118
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:20 am

The ideal scenario would be to get them collected on Friday evening. Is anyone going up then?

Here are the Weir Shoots, I would advise duct taping them on beforehand when the boat is dry..... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darragh Burke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

I'm going to laminate a few of those so if anyone wants one let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gav88
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:28 pm

DarraghB wrote:
I'm going to laminate a few of those so if anyone wants one let me know.

Put me down for one please, I'll bring some duct tape
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

Here are another two that gives slightly different advice in places. A couple of corrections I remember from last year.

RE the first guide I posted previously:

Palmerstown Weir is more of a right-angle from river right (e.g. Kerrygold Guide) and not a pure vee as shown in the first guide. Evil stopper at the end of this on both sides, set up your line and PLF!!

Anna Liffey is run along the along the dark line, but more at 11 to 12 o'clock as opposed to 1 o'clock in direction.

Lucan, Wrens Nest & especially Chapelizod are steep. Not a big drop, but certainly not ideal for the vertigo sufferers!! affraid

I will post up directions to Straffan and the finish tmrw, as the ICU haven't figured out that non-Dubs might need directions. Oh well, maybe next year - 53rd event lucky.

Paul Heff

This one went fuzzy when I enlarged it, get out the magnifying glass....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
d1conorlehane
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm

im heading to straffan sat morning, from offaly, ill prob be there for nine so if anyone is running late (gav) i can collect the bibs ect.... give me a buzz 087 9112958 see yeah all there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gav88
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:58 pm

d1conorlehane wrote:
im heading to straffan sat morning, from offaly, ill prob be there for nine so if anyone is running late (gav) i can collect the bibs ect.... give me a buzz 087 9112958 see yeah all there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oi ! Don't blame me for being late already !
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:45 am

Hi folks,
could someone tell me what time the race is starting please? I might have an hour or two to kill in Dublin this weekend, might wander along and take a few pics, cheers
flower
Back to top Go down
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:46 am

Race Start is 12:30

Final Liffey Descent Race Notice

1 The bib collection will be at Salmon Leap Canoe Club (Leixlip Lake) from 5.00 pm to 9.00 pm on Friday 7th of Oct. T shirts, goodie bags, boat number can be collected there. Paddlers travelling long distances can collect bibs on Saturday morning at Staffan carpark (info centre).Wrist bands will be issued as meal tickets, please place on your wrist and exchange at the race finish for your free meal.

2 There will be boat checking in SLCC carpark on the Friday night to ease the pressure on Sat morning boat checking (as per previous years). Boats must have adequate buoyancy, rigid foam air bags etc. A sticker will be put on the boats once checked and passed

3 A Bus will be available before the start of the race leaving Trinity boathouse (the finish) at 10 am to arrive at the race start by 11 am. A bus will also be available after the race to bring paddler back to the start to collect cars leaving Trinity boathouse at 5 pm. It is important that paddlers book a place on the bus by Friday night at bib collection, the service is Free, but must be booked beforehand and a ticket received.

4 Paddlers must only park in the grass field opposite the Trinity boathouse, they must NOT park in the paved carpark adjacent to the Trinity boathouse (it is a condition of the use of the park by the OPW for public use, not associated with the Liffey Descent). Parking on the approach road to the War memorial park and Trinity boathouse in not permitted, the Gardai have indicated canoeists cars may be clamped if parked on the approach road.

5 The jungle has been trimmed and all obstacles removed however all paddlers are advised to proceed with caution through the jungle and take extreme care in overtaking. All paddlers are obliged to render assistance to distressed/swimming paddlers, failure to do so will result in sanctions being applied.

6 Boats must allow enough time to paddle up to the start line before the first start at 12.30. Paddlers are reminded that in strong flows this can take more than 30 minutes. Canadians and GPs must get on the water before 12 to allow enough time to reach the start.

7 The carpark for the start of the race is the new Smurfit Course carpark (as per 2010) which is on the Kill side (south bank) of Straffan. At the race start, cars parking and staying, should park on the left hand side, while cars dropping and going should stop on the right hand side of the Straffan car park.

8 Should you withdraw from the race at any point it is essential you inform the rescuers at the nearest weir to notify the timing station at the finish line so as rescuers are not sent out looking for missing paddlers.

9 As the race is later in the year than normal and daylight will fade sooner (6.30 pm), canoes that have not reached the portage by 3.30 pm will be required to withdraw from the race. Boats not reaching Wrens nest weir by 4.30 will also be required to withdraw from the race for safety reasons.

10 The race start sequence is
1 All racing K 2 classes
2 All racing single classes (K1, WW racer, junior senior, women and Masters
3 All T2s
4 GPs Mens Senior
5 All remaining GP, Veteran, Junior & Women
6 All Canadian (C1, C2, C3)

11 Race packs numbers and bibs will be issued at 4 separate desks on Friday
Desk 1 All racing classes (K1 K2 WW racer junior, senior, masters etc)
Desk 2 All Canadian
Desk 3 All GP
Desk 4 All T2
Desk 5 All queries, late entries, bus tickets etc

12 There will be tea and coffee for sale at the start for a nominal fee, all proceeds are going to the slalom committee to support their fundraising efforts, please feel free to support them and benefit from a pre race coffee & cake

13 The Marathon committee will be selling raffle tickets to support the National team travelling to Singapore to the World Championships in October. There is over 1,500 euros work of prizes which will be raffled at the Post Race party.

14 The post race party will be in the Church bar (by Jervis street shopping centre) starting at 8 pm, entry & finger food is included in your race entry. Friends and family of canoeists welcome. The basement is booked for the party (with 2 bands (Inside Out) and a DJ playing) while upstairs the music will be a little more chilled – so something to cater for everyone.

Best of Luck
Liffey Descent Committee 2011

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:57 am

Some people were asking me for directions. This is the route from Cork to the Liffey Descent Start staging area.

It is easy enough, From Cork travel to Dublin on the M8, continue on the M7 at the M8/M7 interchange. Exit junction 7 off M7 for Straffan, continue toward Straffan, follow race direction notices. If you pass over the Liffey or find yourself in Straffan village, you have gone too far.

Liffey Descent Start staging area.

To get to the finish point at The Garden of Remembrance.
Leave the start and exit the estate left onto minor road, continue to the T-junction and turn left, over the bridge, through Straffan and continue to the M4 slip road (approx 8km). Turn east heading for Dublin on the M4 for approx 12km (M4 becomes the N4). Turn left onto the South Circular Road (R110), look out for the War Memorial Signs. Continue on the South Circular for approx 110 metres and turn left into the War Memorial Signs. Follow the stewards directions for parking. OR try to ignore the stewards (or be early!) and turn right down toward Trinity Rowing Club to avoid a long walk back from the get-off!

Google maps wouldn't let me move the destination (B) to the rowing club. In the map, B is where you turn off the Sth Circular into the Gardens.

Liffey Descent Start point to the Finish (by road!)

For those heading up on Friday, here is a map from the Start/Straffan to Salmon Leap Canoe to register for the race.

Salmon Leap Canoe Club

See you at the startline....

Paul Heff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dónal Clancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 698
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:17 pm

don - that was my original plan however gave my hand a knock so not a runner

can whoever neds a lift PM me for say a 10:30am run from Isladbridge back to Straffen?

d
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Olive Donegan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2010-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

I had hoped to travel up this weekend to cheer you all on however something has come up i'm afraid Mad

To all those traveling up and participating, lots of luck and have lots of fun! Looking forward to hearing all about it! cheers

Olive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mairi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

Good Luck Everyone - unfortunately I've had to pull out - hope you all have a great paddle!! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:59 pm

I have now got an assurance from the ICU office, that we can keep our paddles sticker free if we wish to do so.

Paul Heff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nollaig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Liffey Descent    Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

Best of luck all .

Great fun to be had .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ciaran Cahill
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-06-10

PostSubject: Well done to all liffey paddlers phoenix silver this year    Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

Well done to all paddlers today, paul emer sean don darragh conor gavin and kevin who got silver in
Junior mens,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc   

Back to top Go down

Liffey Descent Post - Who's going etc
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2