Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.

Share | 

Eddy Clogging!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stephen Hamill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Eddy Clogging!!   Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm

It was quite obvious tonight that the eddy is mental on thursday night. Dont get me wrong its great to see big numbers at the sluice but there has to be a way to ease getting into the sluice.

I said it to mickey tonight and he said usually the rule is not to go past a certain point in the eddy so theres not tons of people getting in the way at the hole.
Sounds like a plan to me but it would need to be enforced to work!

If anyone has other suggestions theyre obviously welcome. All i want is for something to happen to make things easier and help stop clogging the eddy!

------------------

Stephen

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/199hamill
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2197
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:39 am

Simple answer; Paddlers need to stop skipping the queue for the sluice. Yes there was one!! Evil or Very Mad

It was blatantly obvious tonight, that some paddlers gave no regard to others who were waiting for their turn in the sluice.

In the end I gave up, and took my chance as it arose.

Stephen your right that we have to come up with a way to give everyone a go. Sometimes peer pressure has a place, if any of ye are not happy, say so. I'm sure you'll find your not the only one who's pee'd off.

I'd advise deciding any rules among yourselves b4 you get on the water though....

Let me know how ye get on.

Paul Heff

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickeyb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2006-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:27 am

Howdy folks, there was a certain amount of queue skipping, budging and nudging alright last night. And it does make things difficult and annoying for alot of other boaters.
Following a few simple rules means everyone gets a go and no one loses their cool.

1. DO NOT SKIP THE QUEUE, wait in line, generally you'll get your go quick.
2. Last night people were queueing in two eddies, there is always a main eddy, this has right of way, if you are in the auxillary eddie, you must wait and hope a friendly person in the main eddie waves you in.
3. Do not pile on top of the person next in line. At the sluice there is a rock just by the grassy bank, only next in line should be beyond this.
4. Don't stay in the features too long, generally 1 to 2 mintues is the rule, after that, try something new and see what happens so you flush.
5. People on top have right of way, let them pass through.
6. Do not drop into the feature on someone
7. If the feature is empty and its your go, use it or lose it.
8. Play Nice Very Happy

Simple rules and everyone gets enjoyment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James Linehan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:06 am

Ya this was a problem last night and every other night of last year .
The only other issue this "clogging " caused was that people got edgy and started to shout abuse at those who were getting caught in the reciculating current and couldnt do anything about it .

As we all know , At a certain point at the biggest eddy , people just get pushed up by the flow and cant do much about this when they get anywhere near other people , I'd much rather be pushed into a bunch than see someone get a paddle to the face .

If people want to make this a big argument and want to fall out about this , I suggest people go to the sluice during a weekend or another night if they want it all to themselves , Because lets be honest , The sluice is there all the time , not just thursadays.

Im not trying to cause trouble with this but I just wanted people to know that other problems are occuring on the river and they also need to be addressed.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen Hamill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:20 am

If they didnt paddle up at full speed right to the lip of the sluice through the other paddlers they wouldnt get other peoples paddles to face by accident! Plus the current starts to Grab you beyond your control after the rock mickey mentioned. Plus its only out of control because theres so many boats in the way you cant paddle! You an i both know its easily managable before that point! What are the other problems james? I thought the thursday sessions seem to run smoothly otherwise although i havent been there in a few weeks.

------------
Stephen

Last edited by Stephen Hamill on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/199hamill
mickeyb
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:35 am

Play Nice folks
&
Follow the above etiquette for fun hassle free paddling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2197
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm

Lads your both correct, Stephen and James have the same concerns but are expressing them differently. However, I sense some underlying tensions here. If I'm wrong, great no harm done. BUT if I'm right please take it offline and sort it out face-to-face (trust me, it's far more productive).

Theres always, Handbags at Dawn if you must. geek Throwbags at Dawn?? Very Happy

To the issue; As far as I can remember there's always been a queue to get into the sluice hole. The queue was usually respected and there was rarely an issue with hole hoggers or queue jumpers. Last night was a farce at times, people were getting frustrated because other paddlers were inconsiderate.

I can bring it up at the committee meeting, but why can't you all get together on the bank (or at the sluice) and agree to respect the queue as per Mickeys guidelines? I'll post them in the clubhouse, and shall be talking to the senior paddlers about enforcing it to give everbody a fair chance.

You can debate this forever, but your all old enough to sort this out yourselves. Get together and just do it. (sorry NIKE)

James Linehan wrote:
Im not trying to cause trouble with this but I just wanted people to know that other problems are occuring on the river and they also need to be addressed.
Not sure how voicing a concern is causing trouble scratch , if you have concerns, please voice them. Don't forget, a problem that's obvious to you, mightn't be obvious, to those who can rectify it.

Happy Paddling

Paul Heff

Back to top Go down
View user profile
seanmc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

Experience has taught me, if someone jumps the queue then drop in on them, they'll learn the lesson quickly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc
James Linehan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:38 pm

paul heff wrote:
Lads your both correct, Stephen and James have the same concerns but are expressing them differently. However, I sense some underlying tensions here. If I'm wrong, great no harm done. BUT if I'm right please take it offline and sort it out face-to-face (trust me, it's far more productive).

Thanks for the concern Paul but fortunately theres no conflict between us cheers

I definately think that we ( the entire group of sluice users ) should get together and find a way to rectify this and the other flaws in the system, every idea should be taken into consideration including Mickeys great list and we can then get a list of rules together .

Thanks ,
James Linehan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alan o brien
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Sun 05 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

Well lads this is all new to me i never knew there was going to be a set of rules for the sluice but may be the old school way of doing things as seanmc suggests is also the way i would approach it , if some one skipped me be prepared to say hello to the fishy,s and that way you would know your place also it teaches them a little thing called manners which in this day and age people have forgotten.
On a lighter note paddling is about having fun and enjoying the sport so for god sake people just get out there and enjoy it and leave the rules till the competitions
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickeyb
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!   Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eddy Clogging!!