Phoenix Kayak Club Forum

Phoenix Kayak Club are based on the River Lee, and run Beginners courses throughout the Summer, while also entertaining their Current membership every Thursday night.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Club Facebook PageClub Facebook Page  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Full Forum Access!!! New Club Members must contact Sean O'Sullivan to gain FULL forum access. If you cannot see the "Members Only" section, you do not have full access!!! Please email Sean at forumadmin@phoenixkayakclub.com.
Latest topics
» Dry bags
by denis queally Yesterday at 11:04 am

» Sea Kayak for Sale
by Sean O'Sullivan Tue 20 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

» Pyrahna Z One for sale
by Mark Taylor Fri 16 Jun 2017, 10:49 am

» Touring kayak for sale
by michael crudge Thu 15 Jun 2017, 8:55 pm

» Pyranaha everest for sale
by alan o brien Sat 10 Jun 2017, 4:39 pm

» Statement from Canoeing Ireland Board to Members
by Paul Heff Fri 02 Jun 2017, 12:30 pm

» all members
by Paul O Farrell Thu 01 Jun 2017, 5:31 pm

» Camping Gas Cylinder
by Sean O'Sullivan Wed 31 May 2017, 9:51 pm

» Irish surf team selections
by Adrian Kelleher Sat 20 May 2017, 11:41 am

Keywords
kayak bandon level lower club desent alps france instructor 2012 sessions rolling swim paddle descent photos rec3 liffey meeting upper trip Membership photo pool sullane instructors

Share | 

Idea for Summer Alps

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nollaig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Idea for Summer Alps   Mon 03 Jan 2011, 10:32 am

Just an Idea for summer 2011.Wonder would there be any interest. ???????

Pasted from Liverpool Kayak Club .Dinny Dom, who's co member of Phoenix Kayak Club.

is also Chairman of Liverpool Kayak Club.He may have some ideas .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dXNqXcR5k
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don O'Hanlon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Mon 03 Jan 2011, 6:08 pm

I am half thinking of an Alps trip myself but not sure if I'd go on the ICU trip or some other organised group if we can get a few together.

Anyone else doing one of the ICU cources? Not sure if it is booked out though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d1conorlehane
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Mon 03 Jan 2011, 7:07 pm

I know martin tarrant was thinking of doing the icu trip. A bit too expensive for me but if it could be done cheaper id be interested
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nollaig
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Summer Alps    Mon 03 Jan 2011, 11:14 pm

The Way Liverpool Kayak Club travel ,is by large mini Bus & Trailer with all boating requirments.
Think I heard something like 350 Sterling, banded about.They drive from Liverpool to Dover/ Le Harve or Cherbourge ,then onwards.
They all camp out in nearby dedicated camping areas.This is run as a family type outing .
So not sure if it fits with some.Also they run around July/August ,the water is more tame.
We have to bear in mind the only routes out.Are Cork /Roscoff or Rosslare /Cherbourge then onwards .
Also bear in mind Licensing requirments for large Mini bus.

Only a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
micheal mc sweeney
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Thu 06 Jan 2011, 9:16 pm

Apres l'eau vive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darragh Burke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Thu 06 Jan 2011, 11:00 pm

Was thinking about the ICU one if I could get some time in on the water between now and then but would be up for a diy trip depending on the dates etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
martin l
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Tue 11 Jan 2011, 4:22 pm

Guys would anyone be interested in sharing the costs of a budget trip to the french alps for two weeks heading on the 14th june.

a rough guide

ferry - 716 with cabin each way
petrol -200 - 500 depends alot
camping 5 per night thinking about two weeks so about 70 each
food - as cheap as possible

id be aiming to split by 4 so should cost roughly about 400 to get there and stay what you spend after that is kinda up to yourself

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dave o leary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2006-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Tue 11 Jan 2011, 7:45 pm

Work has kinda fecked me up for the Alps this year, but just a few thoughts on it.

Firstly, what do ye want a cabin for on the ferry. your willing to pay and xtra 300 quid for a bed for 2 nights and yet your going to camp out when you get there.

Myself and Micheal drove over last year and roughed it on the ferry. not really as we brought an air mattress and sleeping bag in with us and crashed out on the ground along with lots of others. celtic ferries are the cheapest again this year i think.

If a few of ye do decide to go, ye could rent an apartment relatively cheap as briancon is more renowned for its skiing so apartments are cheap. We rented one two years ago and it was only 70 a head for the week.

While i enjoy a bit of camping, its always nice to crash out after a tough days paddling and cook a bit of grub have a few beers in the comfort of a house.

Sean Mac would probably second that even though he usually camps out, hwe can be found in anyone/everyones house for a nice cup of tea

Back to top Go down
View user profile
micheal mc sweeney
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Tue 11 Jan 2011, 10:59 pm

dave o leary wrote:

Myself and Micheal drove over last year and roughed it on the ferry. not really as we brought an air mattress and sleeping bag in with us and crashed out on the ground along with lots of others.

What Dave said, but I'd just like to point out we took in two air mattresses and two slepping bags.

Celtic ferries are working out at between 260 to 400 for the white van and two passangers, depending when in June you book.

About 500 for the petrol or diesil.

Dont forget the tolls in France, about 80 each way for a car or van. About double that for a mini bus or bigger van.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
martin l
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 10:15 am

nice one lads just looked up celtic there only looking for 513 euro for a car and 4 people. i had only quickly checked with irish ferries and they were looking for 656 for the same deal or 716 with a cabin both ways. would you guys happen to have any contact details for renting a house over there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
micheal mc sweeney
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 8:03 pm

This is a good spot to get started. http://www.urbania-vacances.fr/en/offre?page=3&duree=1&dateDeb=2011-01-15&pays=1&domaine=s_11&left_search=1
I think we've stayed in Residence Guisane apartments.

A second car will be handy for shuttles, some of the runs are a fair distance up quite mountain roads.

Try and get hold of the guide book ' White Water South Alps'. Willy Wallice and the author, Peter Knowles, are great buddies. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0951941372/thukriversguide
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don O'Hanlon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 8:32 pm

Wouldn't be able to go for two weeks and still not decided yet but keep us posted martin.
Fair play you've put a lot of thought into it.
Cheers,
Don Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
seanmc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 9:31 pm

Too right Dave, I'd prefer to be camping any day, as long as someone else has a house where I can drink swim beer and talk about how some people chose the wrong sport and should represent Ireland in swimming instead Smile

For me, camping offers more flexibility. If you want to move elsewhere for more/less water then it's easy to move out of a campsite but if you've booked and paid for a house you'll be more likely to stay put.

I've also found that a lot of people stay in bed longer in the morning when they're in a house but in a tent the heat of the sun will force you out by about 8am.

To get the most out of a trip to the Alps you really need to be going for at least 10 days, especially if it's your first trip, as you'll spend the first few days just adjusting to the different style of river. Some people don't even enjoy their first few days because they take more swims than they are accustomed to taking at home. Once you get the first few days over you will really start to improve.

My best trip yet has been when I spent a full month out there but I accept that not many people would have the luxury of doing a trip like that. If you're out of work though I'd recommend it, you'll live cheaper over there than you will here and you might even be able to get your dole money while you're away.

The Alps whitewater guide is a great book for directions to put-ins/take outs and if you want to find out about the rivers go buy the latest John Grisham novel.

If you can get a group together it'll make a great trip. Most level 3 paddlers will find something to paddle out there. YOu'll just need to have a few more experienced people for rescue help.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc
martin l
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 11:26 pm

Already have the guide book from last years trip and tend to find myself drifting over the different rivers described in it and wishing i was back there.

If enough people were interested of course two cars would be ideal but what i would plan to do is to try to arrange the trip so that it runs alongside another groups such as ucc, wit or dit so as that we could slot into a larger group for safety and for better craic. i have done this for a month last year and for two weeks the year before and never had a problem finding people who are more experienced than i to paddle with, now i do realise the dangers of joining other groups but if a second car is not an option i think its an acceptable solution.

I am not against the idea of renting a house however, just in case the rivers in france are closed due to high waters like last year id be bringing camping gear too just so that you have the option of popping over to Italy and taking in the Soca valley or even further.

If people can only do one week there is always the option of flying back early, i think there is an airport within a couple of hours drive.(open to correction)

Come on people when else will you get the chance for some serious paddling for under 500 for two weeks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
micheal mc sweeney
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Thu 13 Jan 2011, 11:08 am

You have a number of options regarding Airport in the area.
AerLingus: Marsailles, Milan, Lyon and Nice.
RyanAir: Milan, Nice and Grenoble.
AerLingus, Milan/Linate to Dublin seems to be working out the cheapest this year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Thu 13 Jan 2011, 4:49 pm

micheal mc sweeney wrote:

I'd just like to point out we took in two air mattresses and two slepping bags.

Thanks for clearing that up there Michael!
Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
micheal mc sweeney
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Thu 13 Jan 2011, 7:44 pm

Fergus Mc wrote:

Laughing Wink
Just in case anyone got the wrong idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sean O'Sullivan
Admin

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Fri 14 Jan 2011, 8:23 am

Fergus Mc wrote:

Laughing Wink
Just in case anyone got the wrong idea.

You Micheal no way! Dave on the other hand..........he is a Sailor after all! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dinnydom

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-12-08

PostSubject: summer in the alps   Fri 14 Jan 2011, 12:06 pm

About twenty liverpool canoe club members will be campinng in argentiere la besse next to the slalom site on the durance this year .This will be the third or fourth time the club has done this trip without any incident and and everyone has enjoyed the trip .We stay for 2 weeks paddling every day with 2 days off for a bit of sight seeing .Most trips are grade 3 4 with a few more difficult ones for the bigger boys and girls .We will be there this year from july 24 for two weeks and it would be great to hear some french spoken with a cork accent so hope some of you decide to come Dom Buckley
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Fri 14 Jan 2011, 1:21 pm

Sean O'Sullivan wrote:
...he is a Sailor after all! lol! lol!
lol!
Back to top Go down
Seamus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2006-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Sun 16 Jan 2011, 8:25 am

Anyone interested in meeting up with the Liverpool canoe club in France this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nollaig
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Summer Alps    Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:59 pm

Would be interested in meeting Liverpool Kayak Club ,but may clash with Sea Kayak trip to Norway .

Wonder could we run our own Mini Bus .I have HGV but must do one CPC bus.

Any others that may have appropriate licence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Heff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2007-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Tue 18 Jan 2011, 12:36 am

I could be on for this too, but only for one week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
micheal mc sweeney
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Tue 18 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

If time is short by some folks, you could do a fly/drive option.
Two lads with time drive a van load of boats and gear out. The rest of the group fly out and hire cars. Two different lads drive home. Everyone pools all of the costs; ferry, flights, fuel, toals, car hire, van breakdown and driver insurance, camping or apartment, etc.
We done it this way last year and we have something similar planned for this year. It works out one of the cheapest ways, especially if some people are stuck for time.
We have done it flying with boats as well, but it worked out more expensive and was a lot of hassle with car hire and roof racks. Also I hear the airlines are tightning up on the weight of boats.
Done the driving each way as well, which was great, but to make it worth it you need at least 3 weeks holidays.
If you decide to take a mini-bus, you'd need to check out the driving regs in France, as I seem to remember seeing something somewhere about extra requirments for driving buses in France, but I'm not sure. The AA would probably have info on this.
If you dont have someone in your group with a van, you could probably hire one cheap enough, or borrow one.
Vans up to around Hi-Ace or Transporter size are charged the same as private cars on the French motorways and arent much more expensive than a car on the Ferry.
Celtic Ferries were the buisness last year. Stress free travel, cheap prices for grub on board, loads of room to kip, and we even got free coffee.

Hardest part will probably getting a group together and picking dates that suit most people.
If theirs a few of you that paddle together and are interested in going, get together and trash it out. Decide where you want to go and when, decide what grade of paddling the trip is being aimed at, then ask around, find a few more to join. The White Water South Alps has a few examples of trips aimed at different level groups. Well worth a read.

Nearly there....

Another option besides the French Alps, and probably a better one for a first time group, would be the Julian Alps in Slovenia. The paddling is a little easier, prices are a little cheaper, you can hire boats and gear out there if need be, and nearly all of the paddling is based in the one river valley, the Soca Valley.
The drive out is slightly longer, maybe 5 or 6 hours longer. You can fly to Venice/Treviso with Ryanair, which is about an hours drive from the Soca Valley.
The South Alps guide book has some info on the area, and theirs a few good bits on it on the UK River Guide Book website. http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=18&Itemid=140&limitstart=10
I was paddling there last year and really enjoyed it. Good paddling, clean water, great river access, nice weather, lots of apartment or camping options, friendly locals and great food.
The Defense Forces Kayak Club ran a trip there as well last year and found it a great destination for a club trip.

Phew! Thats all folks. Text or PM if you need more info. I'll be glad to help if I can.
Theirs a few more lads floating around as well with some info if ye need help. UCCCC run a trip to the Alps most years, so should be able to give ye some ideas.

START PLANNING SOON. THE SUMMER IS ONLY AROUND THE CORNER. AND GET OUT ON THE WATER AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nollaig
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Idea for Summer Alps   Tue 18 Jan 2011, 10:51 pm

Well Done Micheal , cheers cheers cheers

Last edited by nollaig on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile